.




Documents

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31» Next»

In 1866 Mrs Henry Salomon set about raising funds for the purchase of a new burial ground in Edinburgh as the earlier grounds at Sciennes House Place (Braid Place) had become full.

Donations came in from throughout the UK as shown by the lists of contributors in the Jewish Chronicle at the time.

On 21 Nov 1866 Mrs Salomon purchased a portion of the Echobank (Newington) Cemetery, deemed to be perfectly situated on the Dalkeith Road about two miles out of town.

This was followed by a further collection for the purchase of iron railings and a gate, the total cost of the grounds, walls, railings and the gate being around 350 guineas.

Once this was all in place Mrs Salomon presented the grounds to the Edinburgh congregation, giving the right of burial to all its members.

A few years later, in 1871, the Chief Rabbi visited Edinburgh and was shown around the cemetery by Henry Salomon; it was described then as being a beautifully ornamented site.

Sadly some stones have been knocked down in recent years by the council as they were said to be unsafe and while there was talk of restoration it does not seem to have taken place.

Further information can be found at http://www.newingtoncmy.fsnet.co.uk


History - Echobank (Newington) Cemetery

Brief History of Echobank (Newington) Cemetery


Linked toEchobank (Newington) Jewish Cemetery

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31» Next»




  

Copyright ©  2006 - 2014
Site created by G.Laws. A. Shire. All rights reserved. | This site powered by TNG
,